Hotel or Entity
Mercure Queenstown Resort
Mercure Queenstown Resort is a 148 room, 4 star property with the most spectacular view of Lake Wakatipu and the Remarkables.
Discover the hotel
Anticipated Start Date
Mora Barrientos Clara
+64 3 4425506
Level of Education
Areas of study
3 to 5 years
English (Primary tongue)
Essential and optional requirements
The successful candidate:
-will have a minimum of 3 years chef experience (4 star accommodation services preferred).
-possess strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
-has the ability to manage and train staff.
-has proven team building and leadership skills.
-holds a professional Cookery Qualification
-has an immaculate grooming and presentation.
Overview of duties
• Helps provide smooth running services and a high standard of production by managing his/her section
• Works autonomously to produce dishes in compliance with cooking instructions
• Supervises the commis chefs’ and kitchen hands’ work
• Is responsible for the organisation, coordination and service for one area of the kitchen
Professional techniques / Production
• Produces and presents the dishes for the section in line with the cooking instructions and processes defined by the hotel and brand
• Ensures that dishes are well presented, of a high standard and at the right temperature
• Delivers dishes in good time to suit guests’ wishes
• Depending on the hotel, may be asked to receive deliveries, check and store merchandise
• Organises his/her work and timing to suit fluctuations in guest numbers, special events and particular guests
• Leads the team under his/her responsibility and creates a good working atmosphere
• Organises and supervises the work carried out by commis chefs, apprentices and kitchen hands in the area under his/her responsibility
• Informs the team about cost optimisation and the reduction of raw material wastage; tracks implementation
• Trains commis chefs, apprentices, kitchen hands and interns to a high standard ”
Management and administration
• Is actively involved in meeting the department’s targets:
– by following the cooking instructions to the letter
– by avoiding waste and loss of food items
– by respecting the procedures and internal audits applicable in the hotel
• Helps conduct inventories
• Helps manage stocks of equipment by avoiding breakages
Hygiene / Personal safety / Environment
• Ensures that the workplace remains clean and the safety of consumable goods by always respecting HACCP regulations
• Respects the instructions and safety guidelines for the equipment used
• Applies the hotel’s security regulations (in case of fire etc)
• Respects the hotel’s commitments to the “”Environment Charter”” (saving energy, recycling, sorting waste etc)